From September to the end of October 2017, Vlerick Business School and Ageas organize the first Big Data Challenge together. The Big Data Challenge is a competition that helps professionals and students to test their business, analytical & technology knowledge as well as business skills that are necessary for working in Big Data projects.
Rules of the Challenge
Participants must be Belgian residents and be over 18 years old. All the Big Data fans are allowed to compete. One registration per person is authorised. The participant can only compete in his name and not for someone else. Personal information of the participant can be verified through different sources. Personal data must be accurate. Inaccurate or deliberately false information given by the participant will disqualify the registration and lead to the loss of the Prize.
You will have 15 minutes to give the correct answer to as many questions as you can (up to 36). The questions are multiple-choice with one and only one right answer.
You are allowed to use three ‘Jokers’ during the Challenge. The "50/50" that forces the computer to eliminate half of the answers. The "Ask the Challengers," that shows you the percentage of the challengers that chose each particular answer. The "Bonus question / Ask a friend," in which the challenger sends a bonus question to one friend during the challenge, after which the friend provides his input, and the score is adapted accordingly.
The Score & Level of the Questions:
The online test contains questions with one level of difficulty: Medium with an associated score of 2 points if answered correctly. The total score will be the cumulative score of the answers. A wrong answer always gives the same score (-1). When you pass on a question, you neither win nor lose points.
What will be displayed at the end of the challenge?
Your score and the private leaderboard will be revealed at the end of the challenge and only visible to you. We are only showing the detail of scores to all players at the end of the Challenge so that the players cannot share questions during the Challenge.
If you are in the TOP 25 best participants
If you rank among the top 25 participants, your name, first name, and the score will be posted on the leaderboard and visible to all the challengers. 12 finalists will be identified at the end of the first round invited to the Final.
Who will be invited to the finals?
- The top 12 participants will be invited to the final. The final will take place in Brussels.
- 1st: Free seat1 in the Big Data programme at Vlerick (value2: 4465 euro)
- 2nd: Study voucher1 towards Big Data programme at Vlerick (value: 1500 euro)
- 3d: Study voucher1 towards Big Data programme at Vlerick (value: 750 euro)
In the context of this competition, the following personal data about the participants will be collected and processed: name, address, date of birth, email address, telephone number LinkedIn (if applicable). The organizers’ servers will automatically save specific data such as address, date and time. Personal data is collected and processed for the following uses:
- To enable and oversee the competition process;
- To analyze and optimize EDITx
- To set up the Statboard & Leaderboard at the end of the challenge
EDITx shares the personal information (Last Name, First Name, Mobile and Email) of the participants with and only with the Owner of the Challenge (Vlerick, Ageas and Trends) and with any governmental agency or Authority (in Belgium, Luxembourg or Nederland) or authority at their request (in case of irregularities).
Any of the following reasons will justify an elimination from the Challenge:
- Communicating and/or publishing any kind of information, questions or solutions connected to the challenge, and sharing directly or indirectly this information with any other contestant before the Challenge has been closed;
- Attempting to damage the website or taking action that may harm the normal process/operating procedure of the challenge. Incidentally, this can also be considered as a legal violation, and the Organizer reserves the right to initiate a legal procedure and claim damages before the Court.
- Taking any action in violation of the copyrights/IP that belongs to the Authors of the questions (Professors of the Vlerick Business School) & EDITx IT Educators Community.
- Having multiple profiles while participating in the challenge.
Hungry for more expertise in Big Data?
This fall Vlerick is launching a new programme ‘Creating business value with Big Data’- starting on November 6th, 2017. Return to your workplace with a clear long-term analytics & Big Data strategy to create business value in your organisation or functional department. Learn more about the programme.
Read our whitepaper to learn about the opportunities with Big Data – download here.
1 Vlerick has the right to conduct a selection procedure based on the CV and/or interview to guarantee that the participant’s profile is relevant for the programme. The offered amount can be redeemed only towards the programme ‘Creating Business Value with Big Data’.
2 The costs of catering and documentation, and 21% VAT are excluded and to be paid by the participant.
EDITx Regulation and general conditions
Challenge closed !
- Ask the challengers
- Ask a friend